The Manhattan Meat Market offers more than just meat!
Norwegian and fresh caught salmon, dry scallops, Mahi Mahi, Arctic Char, Rainbow Trout, Monkfish, Ahi Tuna, Hamachi and Bronzini are just a sampling of the fresh seafood specials that arrive at the market weekly. With our seafood coming to us within days after being out of the water, our supply chain is much more direct than in a grocery store setting, allowing us to provide our customers with the highest caliber of seafood you will find in Manhattan.
Norwegian salmon and dry scallops are two superior products you’ll find in our cases daily.
Sustainably farmed Norwegian Salmon delivers a clean taste and texture that comes from a slow, natural growth process and exceptional regulations to ensure safety.Norwegian Salmon are sustainably raised with the following practices:
- Strict Regulations: Raised and cared for under strict Norwegian regulation throughout the production chain to ensure food safety
- No Antibiotics: Due to new disease-fighting techniques and preventive measures, the use of antibiotics is currently approaching zero
- No Color Added: Flesh color comes from diet supplements that are similar to vitamins
- All-Natural Diet: Norwegian Salmon are fed an all-natural diet composed of both vegetable and marine raw material, such as fish oil and fish meal from wild fish, plus vitamins, minerals and antioxidants
Salmon is a very versatile protein and can be prepared in several fashions such as sushi, fried, boiled, grilled, marinated and can be served hot or cold. In addition to salmon being a valuable protein for your diet, it also provides vitamin A, D, B12, antioxidants and omega-3s.
Soaked vs Dry Scallops
In the seafood business, there are two ways scallops are sold: dry and soaked. Soaked (also known as "wet" or "treated") scallops have been soaked in a phosphate bath. When scallops are exposed to a phosphate bath, they absorb the water and swell - gaining water-weight. The absorbed water evaporates when the scallops are cooked, leaving them smaller, tougher and less-flavorful than their dry counterparts. It is generally easy to discern treated scallops as they will usually appear very white in color. Most scallops are sold soaked; not at the Manhattan Meat Market, however, as we sell dry scallops, wild-caught from Massachusetts.
Dry is the seafood industry term for natural scallops that have not been treated with phosphates. Natural scallops have a slightly tan or "vanilla" color. Dry scallops are superior for the following reasons:
- For searing purposes, dry scallops caramelize beautifully!
- Dry scallops taste sweet & natural. "Wet" scallops can sometimes have a washed-out, or even slightly "soapy" or bitter flavor.
- You are not paying for added water with dry scallops.
The Manhattan Meat Market is excited to offer a superior grade of seafood in addition to our selection of premium Braveheart beef, Allegiance pork, and locally raised lamb, goat, house-made brats, cheeses and more. Our weekly seafood specials and recipes can be found at www.mhkmeats.com and on Facebook! If you’re in need of a specific seafood, stop in and talk with our staff at 307 S. Seth Child Rd, Manhattan, KS or call the store at 785-712-2888. We’d be happy to assist in accommodating your special order!